People for the Respect & Care of Animals (PRCA) is a registered charitable trust. Under the aegis of this trust, Chhaya, an animal hospital cum shelter was set up in 2008. Chhaya is set up on a 2.5 acre plot in village Aswathaberia, on the outskirts of Kolkata, with a built up area of approximately 30,000 sq. ft. The hospital cum shelter is equipped with solar geysers, solar lights and bio-gas plant. The hospital has 66 well ventilated kennels for 300+ dogs undergoing treatment, 1 full time veterinary surgeon and other vets on call. Chhaya has 30 dedicated staff, including para-vets, maintenance, drivers and dog handlers. There is also a Gaushala for large animals that stay permanently at Chhaya, Barns for large animals that are admitted for treatment and an aviary for injured birds. New cases are admitted every day and cured dogs are returned to their habitats. All dogs treated at Chhaya are de-wormed and vaccinated against Rabies before discharge. Also, there are large outer enclosures for animals that cannot stay on the streets. Dogs, birds, cows, horses with broken limbs, severe skin infections, terminal cancer patients, blind dogs, biter dogs, abandoned pedigreed pets etc., are the ones housed permanently at Chhaya and will be cared for as long as they live.
- Air conditioned Operation Theatre with power back up and oxygen facility
- X-ray machine
- 2 Tata Ace pick up vehicles that pick up dogs 6 days a week to bring the animals to Chhaya & return them when cured
- Pathological lab for routine blood tests
- Daily out-patient department for livestock of local villagers
- Hygienic freshly cooked nutritious food served twice a day for all dogs and fodder for all other large animals